29 August 2005

COMEX IT Show Anyone?

Once upon a time, I was packing a room in my house when I unearthed a scanner. As I already had a scanner, I thought of giving it to my godsister. Happily I brought the scanner, connecting cable and the instruction manual to her house. After connecting the scanner to her computer, I started to laugh... there is NO power cable, how to switch on the scanner?!

So off I went to Funan. I went to an authorized dealer and wanted to get the power cable. They do NOT have it as it was quite an old model. I had to go to their support centre in HarbourFront to get it.

So off I went to HarbourFront, bought the power cable and went home. Yay, I could switch on the scanner! That was ALL I could do. As it was an ancient scanner, my computer did not have its driver and cannot "see" the scanner even after the scanner is switched on and connected.

So off I went into cyberspace (internet) to search and download the scanner driver. After I installed the driver, my computer can "see" the scanner BUT there was NO interface software! My computer did not have any picture or photo software that had the "acquire" function. Hence I needed a stand-alone software which usually comes with the product.

So off I went searching my whole house for the software CD. It was nowhere to be found.

So off I went to cyberspace again to search for the software. I searched for TWO nights but could not find it. Luckily on the third day Injenue was "online" in msn and helped me to find it! Thanks Injenue! I downloaded, installed the software and yay... the software works! Sadly, the hardware did not. When I clicked the "scan" button, the scanner tried to scan but always an error message popped up: Switch lock/ unlock switch to unlock position, disconnect connecting cable and restart system. ALL the time, the switch of the scanner was ALREADY in "unlock" position. I switched the switch to "lock" then back to unlock, disconnect, restart system, connect back... I must have tried about 20+ times.

So off I went to HarbourFront (today) again and sent the scanner for repair as it seemed to be a hardware problem. Finally the verdict: the main controller chip in the scanner was not working. As the scanner was an antique, repair was not recommended. The scanner was pronounced dead. I could give it a decent burial back in my storeroom at home or I could trade it in and get some discount off the latest product range.

After all the efforts put in to save the scanner, I was traumatized. The customer service officer suggested me to go to the COMEX IT show at Suntec from 1-4 Sep 2005 as he sensed that I was unable to make a decision on the spot.

So COMEX IT show anyone? I am free in the evening on 1 Sept and whole day on 2 Sep.

4 Comments:

At 31 August, 2005 12:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me a Buzz,

I took off purposely on 2 sept for COMEX shopping....should be there in the morning when it start

 
At 31 August, 2005 21:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me available only on 1st and 2nd MORNING :(

 
At 01 September, 2005 16:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only start at noon time..i guess u cannot liao....

 
At 01 September, 2005 23:33, Blogger angelblessings said...

As I was already in ERP area today, I decided to drive over to Suntec for COMEX IT Show. *Nightmare* I spent 1 hr searching for a parking lot. Suntec, Marinal Square, Millenia Walk & Raffles City car parks were ALL FULL!! After 60 mins of going in & out of car parks, I finally parked in Bras Basah & walked over to Suntec. The moment I stepped into the exhibition at level 4 (abt 5pm), I decided to leave 'cos there were so MANY pple, I can hardly see the exhibition booths! It felt like the annual New Paper BIG WALK, indoor version. Super crowded.

Tips for those who are planning to go for the show:

1. Do NOT drive there
2. Try to go there as early as possible, show starts at 12pm
3. Wear safety boots 'cos it's a "mini stampede"
4. With so many products at attractive discounts, THINK, CONSIDER & ASK urself if u REALLY need to buy IT...

t@z: I should be there at abt 12pm tmr. Will give u a buzz!

e: Is there anything u want me to help u do "market research"? Price comparsion/ product functions? Sms me ok?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home