27 August 2006

Blackout - Blood - Ouch

I was walking to towards my office when suddenly I experienced a blackout. It was about 9am in the morning but it seemed like someone just switched off the Sun and it was pitch black. I thought I had turned blind as I could not see anything. Thinking back, the blackout should not have lasted more than one second. At the end of the split second blackout, I heard a very faint voice... "Win... dow!"... Then in slow motion I regained my vision and I saw two very worried looking faces.

What happened was my head had hit the corner of a window that was opened too wide. My colleague walking behind me tried to warn me by shouting "CAREFUL ! WINDOW!!" but it was too late. My head struck the window the instant she shouted "CAREFUL!" The same colleague witnessed the corner of the window sinking into my head. Instinctively she grabbed me as I stumbled and almost lost balance after the hard hit.

There was another colleague with me. Within the next split second, my two colleagues exclaimed
"Are you okay? How do you feel? You didn't see the window?! You just hit your head on a window!"

By now my hand was already pressing on the area of my head which hit the window. Surprisingly I felt no pain. I just felt very stunned. My whole head felt numb. I reassured my colleagues
"It is not painful, I am okay"

My colleague asked
"Is there any bleeding?"

I took my palm off my head and could not believe what I saw: about HALF of my palm was in BLOOD !! Then I was worried. I was worried that I may faint soon.

You may not believe it but the pain came almost TEN hours later! There was no pain while I pressed a tissue firmly to my head as my colleague sped at 100+ km per hour to the clinic. There was no pain when the doctor injected local anesthesia in my head. There was no pain when the doctor stitched my wound using a needle and thread.

The pain came after the anesthesia wore off at about 7pm the evening. OoowwwW !!! OUCH !

5 Comments:

At 27 August, 2006 13:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes! sounds like the adventure i had in sec school where a friend pushed me as i bend down to tie my shoelace. my forehead went straight to the edge of the table. ehhe..i had bandage on my head, 3 days MC and missed the school carnival :(

 
At 27 August, 2006 17:25, Blogger angelblessings said...

Hi e,

Was there an open wound for your case? Did you require stitches for your head injury?

The last time I got stitched up was 14 years ago. My stitching experience this time bought back memories of my previous stitches.

 
At 28 August, 2006 20:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup, it was a deep cut. when the doctor pressed my forehead to stop the bleeding, i could feel my tears rolling down the cheeks...

he wanted to stitch it, but i insisted on letting it heal on its own. so they let me have my way and no stitches.

if i frown, you can see the "dimple" on my forehead :)

previous stiches where? tell me!

 
At 31 August, 2006 00:32, Blogger angelblessings said...

Dear e,

I earned my previous stitches by falling on the road (tarmac). There was an open wound on my chin.

I cannot remember the exact number of stitches, I think it was either 7 or 8. However I do remember clearly how an intern nurse did the dressing for my wound after I was stitched up in the hospital. He taped a thick white band of gauze across my chin. Instantly it was like I had grown a bread! Hahaa.. I looked so ridiculous!

You were wise not to stitch. As your wound was visible (on forehead), stitching would have left a visible scar.

 
At 01 September, 2006 23:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey angie. mine was supposed to be ard 9 stitches. ahhaha...good thing my cousins didnt force me into doing the stitch when i said i didnt want it.

i was 14 then :P in fact, it didnt feel pain. i felt numbed after the lil accident. i think the pain came only when doctor press the wound to stop it from bleeding.

hehe..next time we meet, we shld compare our "dimples" and "beard"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home