05 August 2005

Kick Myself

On 30 June 2005, I submitted my resignation and became a full-time job seeker on 1 July 2005. I have applied for 67 jobs since. There were no response until last Friday, 30 July 2005. My daily schedule until then was:

1200 hrs: Wake up, freshen up, eat
1400 hrs: Job search online and apply
1900 hrs: TV and clear emails
0300 hrs: Sleep

Naturally I was caught by surprise when someone called me at 1000 hrs last Friday. I was still deep in dreamland when I dreamed that my mobile phone rang... No, I am not dreaming. It was REALLY ringing! I stumbled out of bed to search for my phone... Ah, found it...

Me: Harlow... (In a sleepy tone)
Caller: Hi! I am calling from L'Oréal regarding your application for management trainee. Can you... (In a super fresh and bubbly tone)

I did not pay attention to what she said after her first sentence. L'Oréal? Sounds familiar. Remember that I have applied for 67 jobs by then and I somehow could not remember what kind of company L'Oréal was. Accounting firm? Legal firm? Does not sound like an engineering company leh... *Think... Come on, think harder!*

Caller: HELLO?!
Me: Er ... yah? (I was still cracking my mind, trying recall what on earth is L'Oréal?)
Caller: Can you tell me about your working experience?

Although I cannot recall the companies, I remember clearly that I listed my working experience in ALL my resumes. So WITHOUT thinking...

Me: Do you have my resume with you?
Caller: Erm, yes... (In a "duh!" tone)
Me: You never read ah?
(Awkward, nervous pause for a few seconds)

Oh shit! I blew it, I totally blew it! I could kick myself for it! Arrgghh! I thought that she would just hang up...

Caller: Er... we would like to know MORE about your work experience.

Although it was a phone conversation, I was embarrassed. I went through my working experience very briefly (close to what was written in my resume). The moment I finished...

Caller: We are reviewing our applications and will inform you if you are shortlisted *Click* and the phone line went dead.

I got out of bed, washed my face and brushed my teeth. Suddenly I screamed "L'Oréal"! The cosmetics company!! "Because I'm worth it" TV ad company!!! Now then I remember...

2 Comments:

At 05 August, 2005 23:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh well. if it's meant to be, you'll still get it, no matter what you say :)

good luck with the job hunting. i hope you get one REALLY soon :) oh well..that means, no more helmet soup on a weekday afternoon :(

 
At 09 August, 2005 12:40, Blogger angelblessings said...

Thanks! Depending on what kind of job, I may still be able to enjoy "helmet" soup with you on a weekday afternoon =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home